This week PennsylvaniaStateUniversityannounced a $1 million grant to the new Center for the Protection of Children, created in the wake of the child sex abuse scandal at the school last year. The grant was awarded from football bowl revenues and is twice as large as was expected when the center was launched earlier this year. University President Rodney Erickson said the center is expected to be a national leader in clinical care, research, education and direction of policy related to child abuse and neglect. It will offer treatment for abused children and a primary care clinic for foster children. It also will sponsor research into the prevention, detection and treatment of abuse; offer training; provide advocacy; and collect data. The facility will be based at Penn State Hershey Children’s Hospital and bring together clinicians, scientists, legal scholars and educators. Its director, Dr. Andrea Taroli, said the project has an “ambitious agenda,” and that the additional funding will help it get off the ground more quickly.
Search the Monitor
Did You Know?Federal employees, did you know CWLA is part of the Combined Federal Campaign? Our CFC number is 11125. Please consider designating CWLA as your CFC charity, and help us spread the word!
A CFC contribution is just one of many ways to donate to CWLA. We appreciate your support to continue our work on behalf of children and families.
- RT @WK_Kellogg_Fdn: MT @NEFhealthystart: #homevisiting has potential to decrease #infantmortality #childmortality #maternalmortality = a vi… 1 hour ago
- RT @EarlyEdgeCA: Research shows #homevisiting boosts cognitive, behavioral, social, emotional, health, & safety outcomes, while helping fam… 1 hour ago
- #HomeVisiting increases family self-sufficiency, lowers #healthcare costs & reduces need for remedial #education. #MIECHV 1 hour ago
- You can also support #MIECHV by phone. Call the Capitol Switchboard at 202-224-3121 and ask to be connected to your Member of Congress. 1 hour ago
- RT @voicesNE: #HomeVisiting is pro-family and saves $ for NE. Reauthorize #MIECHV! bit.ly/18JBex0 @JeffFortenberry @RepAdrianSmith … 1 hour ago
- RT @firstfiveyears: Republicans & Democrats support evidence-backed voluntary #homevisiting. Will your rep. protect it? #MIECHV http://t.co… 1 hour ago