This week PennsylvaniaStateUniversityannounced a $1 million grant to the new Center for the Protection of Children, created in the wake of the child sex abuse scandal at the school last year. The grant was awarded from football bowl revenues and is twice as large as was expected when the center was launched earlier this year. University President Rodney Erickson said the center is expected to be a national leader in clinical care, research, education and direction of policy related to child abuse and neglect. It will offer treatment for abused children and a primary care clinic for foster children. It also will sponsor research into the prevention, detection and treatment of abuse; offer training; provide advocacy; and collect data. The facility will be based at Penn State Hershey Children’s Hospital and bring together clinicians, scientists, legal scholars and educators. Its director, Dr. Andrea Taroli, said the project has an “ambitious agenda,” and that the additional funding will help it get off the ground more quickly.
Search the Monitor
Did You Know?Federal employees, did you know CWLA is part of the Combined Federal Campaign? Our CFC number is 11125. Please consider designating CWLA as your CFC charity, and help us spread the word!
A CFC contribution is just one of many ways to donate to CWLA. We appreciate your support to continue our work on behalf of children and families.
Federal Funding Announcement Corner
The Children’s Bureau recently released the following funding announcements:
- R u springing forward? Check your smoke alarm. It may be time for a new one. Check w/ ur local EMS to see if they offer free installations. 1 day ago
- RT: @ZEROTOTHREE has some great age-based resources on sleep. To see them, click here: bit.ly/ZTTsleep2 1 day ago
- Adults can teach kids critical skills for coping with online aggression. ow.ly/ulid4 a la @PsychToday 1 day ago
- Study: Verbal, Physical Abuse Have Similar Effects On Children ow.ly/ulj1O via dfw.cbslocal.com 1 day ago
- PRIDE Model of Practice Implementation Training, Baltimore, MD March 24-28 Tix: bit.ly/1jyRmkR More on PRIDE: ow.ly/um54j 1 day ago
- In this week's bit.ly/CWLANetworker How to Tell if Your Kid Is In Trouble ow.ly/ugSzB via @USNewsHealth 1 day ago