This week PennsylvaniaStateUniversityannounced a $1 million grant to the new Center for the Protection of Children, created in the wake of the child sex abuse scandal at the school last year. The grant was awarded from football bowl revenues and is twice as large as was expected when the center was launched earlier this year. University President Rodney Erickson said the center is expected to be a national leader in clinical care, research, education and direction of policy related to child abuse and neglect. It will offer treatment for abused children and a primary care clinic for foster children. It also will sponsor research into the prevention, detection and treatment of abuse; offer training; provide advocacy; and collect data. The facility will be based at Penn State Hershey Children’s Hospital and bring together clinicians, scientists, legal scholars and educators. Its director, Dr. Andrea Taroli, said the project has an “ambitious agenda,” and that the additional funding will help it get off the ground more quickly.
Search the Monitor
Did You Know?Federal employees, did you know CWLA is part of the Combined Federal Campaign? Our CFC number is 11125. Please consider designating CWLA as your CFC charity, and help us spread the word!
A CFC contribution is just one of many ways to donate to CWLA. We appreciate your support to continue our work on behalf of children and families.
- It's a beautiful day for International Walk to School Day! Be aware of more children out on the streets. walkbiketoschool.org 3 hours ago
- October is National Bullying Prevention month. Wear your blue shirt on 10/5/15 to show support and raise awareness! twitter.com/STOMPOutBullyn… 6 days ago
- In America, the economic divide between rich and poor is damaging the future of underprivileged children. @thenation bit.ly/1LXHcWQ 1 week ago
- David Beckham at the UN! Find out why... bit.ly/1LCQ4FB 1 week ago
- Sarah Barr reveals new legislation that could help homeless youth. Read more: youthtoday.org/2015/09/advoca… 2 weeks ago
- RT @AdoptUSKids: Adoptive Parent Truths ow.ly/ScY0e #adoption http://t.co/4vJqcnCDnj 2 weeks ago