This week PennsylvaniaStateUniversityannounced a $1 million grant to the new Center for the Protection of Children, created in the wake of the child sex abuse scandal at the school last year. The grant was awarded from football bowl revenues and is twice as large as was expected when the center was launched earlier this year. University President Rodney Erickson said the center is expected to be a national leader in clinical care, research, education and direction of policy related to child abuse and neglect. It will offer treatment for abused children and a primary care clinic for foster children. It also will sponsor research into the prevention, detection and treatment of abuse; offer training; provide advocacy; and collect data. The facility will be based at Penn State Hershey Children’s Hospital and bring together clinicians, scientists, legal scholars and educators. Its director, Dr. Andrea Taroli, said the project has an “ambitious agenda,” and that the additional funding will help it get off the ground more quickly.
Search the Monitor
Did You Know?Federal employees, did you know CWLA is part of the Combined Federal Campaign? Our CFC number is 11125. Please consider designating CWLA as your CFC charity, and help us spread the word!
A CFC contribution is just one of many ways to donate to CWLA. We appreciate your support to continue our work on behalf of children and families.
- Our CWLA National Conference is less than a month away! Sign up now, folks! bit.ly/1zwvVcl 3 days ago
- This week is National Youth Violence Prevention Week. Check out what @NATIONALSAVE and other organizations are up to! bit.ly/1gYxGme 5 days ago
- Along with @fractweets, we want to keep #SNAP strong. Today is SNAP Call-In Day; call your representatives and ask them to support SNAP! 1 week ago
- RT @CAHomelessYouth: Legislation to Give Homeless Youth Access to High School Equivalency Exams wp.me/pqRPa-5Lf via @melanienathan1 … 1 week ago
- We sent a letter about the threatened Social Services Block Grant to all members of the House and Senate. bit.ly/1B1x49R #SSBG 1 week ago
- Our latest Children's Voice issue is now available! Here's a feature article on improving practice with #LGBT youth. bit.ly/1bfBMf4 1 week ago